331 Hemi Swap For Slant Six

Tech Question


Robert Hanks, Templeton CA, 1971 Dodge Dart/Swinger 225

I own a 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger. It currently has a 225 cuin Slant Six, I found a 1957 331 cu in Hemi ($700.00) and a 360 cu in Dodgemotor ($250.00). Which would be the easier exchange? Which would be thebest cost effective and most horsepower? Could I use the stock automatictransmission? Would I have to make changes in the bell housing? Thanks forall your help!!!


Rob, the 360 is by far the easier and better swap, the 331 weighs a ton(maybe two!) But either way, the transmission has to go. With the 360, youhave seveal choices, incl. an A-904, A-727, A-500, or A-518. Be sure you getthe small-block V-8 version of whichever one you choose.

To do this the “factory” way, you also need a K-member and mounts from a V-8A-body. While you’re at it, a complete ’73-’76 K-member, disc brakes, etc.is a great upgrade, gaining you, amongst many improvements, spool-typeengine mounts.

The cheap ‘n’ easy way is to use the conversion mounts from Schumacher – see

No matter how you do this, there’s lots more that needs to change, such asthe rear axle, bigger/better brakes cooling, exhaust, etc. But it all boltsin and is quite worthwhile. Just do your homework before you get greasy!


Comments are closed.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More